Sunday, June 28, 2009

Long Time, No Post

Sadly, after just two months, the Burden in my March post returned. And again, we were blind-sided. The company that hired my husband closed down. We are beginning the seventh week of this layoff with no good prospects in sight. Since I haven't had any good news to report, I've stayed quiet. Actually, I've written a couple of post, but deleted both.

I've been learning to knit! Yes, I've added another craft to my hobbies -- my husband says I enjoy doing too many things. I've wanted to learn to knit for years (since high school -- back when dirt was new), but I couldn't manage to learn how from books. I tried different times over the years and it just didn't work for me. Anyway, I was in Hobby Lobby, not looking for anything in particular, and spotted a learn-to-knit DVD in the clearance section. I grabbed it and headed for the checkout (before the layoff, thankfully). The visual aspect of watching over the knitter's shoulder did the trick and I've been happily knitting......dishcloths. Actually, I think I'll use them in the bathroom, so I'll call them "spa cloths". :p I am so very ready to move on but here's the thing, you can buy the cotton Sugar'nCream yarn on sale for a dollar a skein. Given our current situation it isn't so difficult to justify a one dollar purchase for entertainment and two spa cloths. :)

My daughter's caught the knitting bug too and we've had fun going to yarn shops to check out their yarns...hundreds of skeins and hanks in gorgeous colors. I'm a long-time yarn snob...say no to acrylics! No offense intended to those who love their Red Heart.

I'm going to confess that I did purchase yarn to make a scarf to wear to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (hoping that we can go). This is the best quiz we've found of the many Sorting Hat quizzes on the 'net. I'm in Ravenclaw. And yes, I probably am a little old for this sort of thing, but I'm blessed to have a daughter who thinks it's cool that I'm willing to don a Harry Potter scarf and wear it in public.

No comments: